rachelruetz

rachelruetz

Gender Archaeology
Marie Louise Stig Sorensen, Marie Louise Stig Srensen, Marie Louise Stig Sa Rensen
This haunted isle: The ghosts and legends of Britain's historic buildings
Peter Underwood

Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey  - E.L. James This was the first time I have ever become so angry while reading a book that I found myself ready to actually physically pitch the book out the window of my bus. It was a library book, so I didn't want to have to actually pay for it which is the only reason I stopped myself. I've realized I must not have mentally accepted what this book was about before I read it. I assumed that BOTH parties enjoyed the acts. I was so, so wrong.
First off, the writing was really, truly, horrible. Normally, even as an English major, I don't let bad writing get in the way of my enjoyment of the narrative too much. If the emotion gets through, I can appreciate the attempt. Not here. The sheer amount of times Grey's beauty and "length" were mentioned, the number of times the heroine said "oh my," and the descriptions of Ana's "inner goddess" doing handstands or her "subconcious" wagging her finger , were utterly ridiculous. The sex scenes became redundant, and had absolutely no emotional connection with me or overall value.
And then Grey started to be a real d-bag.The problem here is that Grey is an utterly selfish, stalking, bullying, sadist. He tells her that she MUST do what he says, or he will punish her, even before she ever signs a contract agreeing to be his sub. THIS IS ABUSE, KIDS. When she admits that she doesn't WANT to be beaten, he bullies and manipulates her, saying that this is the ONLY WAY THEY CAN BE TOGETHER. He claims that she's in control and can make him stop whenever she wants, which is a complete joke. Grey does what he wants, all the time. It was very disturbing.
Ana's final decision was the only way I could finish this book. It was honestly painful to read. Don't waste $ on this, please.